Monday, February 4, 2013

Photo of the Day: A wise & empathetic Latina


At her Wednesday night book talk here, Justice Sonia Sotomayor glided through her audience of 700, dispensing homespun wisdom through a cordless microphone, interrupted by impromptu applause.

When the moderator read a question from Tabbie Major, age 7, about which books Justice Sotomayor loved as a child, she found the girl, locked her in an embrace, held on while reminiscing about Nancy Drew mysteries and then called out for a photographer to capture the moment. No need: a good portion of the crowd was already snapping pictures.
Remember what President Obama said when - just before he nominated Sotomayor - he talked about what he was looking for in a Supreme Court Justice?



Ya done good on that one Mr. President. Thank you!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sotomayor is someone I have a real fondness for. She seems very much like she'd be a great grandma to someone. I have a lot of respect for that. All her intelligence, of course, but I swear it that I find that people who can be loving to people in the moment like this are the ones who really float my boat these days. It's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a definite girl-crush on Sonia.

      After I started reading her book I looked into when she was born. She's about 6 months younger than me. But its like we grew up in 2 different worlds.

      Anyway, she is what I want to be when I grow up :-)

      Delete
    2. Grow up...it's an interesting concept. I don't know where I am on it.

      Delete

"I'd much rather be us than them"

According to the polling aggregate at The Economist, if the 2024 presidential election were held today, it would result in a tie. There'...